Editorial & Advertising Policy
Reference to "ModernMedicine" or "We" means UBM Advanstar, including any company that we control (for example a subsidiary that we own). You can read more about our company at www.advanstar.com.
Editorial and Advertising Policy Changes
As our editorial and advertising policy change in significant ways, we will make every effort to notify you of the changes. Minor changes to the policy may occur that will not affect the overall goals this policy is designed to achieve. When the policy changes in a way that significantly affects the way we handle editorial matters, we will clearly draw the attention of our users to the change. We will post policy changes on our websites in a timely manner.
ModernMedicine is committed to providing you with balanced, accurate health information. Our website employs editorial professionals who are responsible for content selection, development and maintenance process. Although we are a for-profit business supported in part by advertising and sponsorship, we recognize the importance of maintaining a clear separation between our independent editorial content and any materials that are advertising or any content that may be influenced by our sponsors. We also have organized the operations of our website to provide for appropriate separation of our education and promotion programs from an editorial perspective.
Sources of Our Information
All material on our website that we present as our own is either created by us or is obtained from content providers whose editorial processes we have evaluated and find to be acceptable. Material we create is written either by our staff writers or by physicians and other healthcare professionals and health writers whom we commission. Our content has been evaluated by both in-house editors and CME content is reviewed for fair balance and whether learning objectives are met by the content. Sources for third party editorial content include government agencies, not-for-profit foundations, medical publishers, and for-profit companies that provide healthcare news and information. Our editorial staff reviews most content from outside sources for accuracy, balance, completeness and timeliness before we make it available on our sites. In the cases where a complete review is not possible, we rely on spot-checking and our previous evaluation of possible sources of information and of the editorial procedures used by the information provider (for example, in the case of our drug reference databases). In most cases, content we obtain from others has also been reviewed by the provider's own in-house staff, or subjected to review by independent authorities in the field. In some areas of our website, we make content available that comes from sponsors. We design these areas to make it clear to the user that the content has not gone through our editorial process. ModernMedicine reviews site content regularly to ensure that it remains relevant. Where necessary, content found to be incorrect or out of date is corrected, updated, moved to an archive (where it remains available), or purged. We often use editor's notes to indicate when this has occurred.
Linking to Other Sites
Financial Information and Outside Influence
Most medical and health information/education sites on the World Wide Web, like their counterparts in print publishing, rely on advertising and sponsorship, including banner advertising, grants, and sponsorship of Continuing Education programs. We discuss advertising later in this policy. With respect to sponsorship or other financial relationships, we observe the following principles:
- We will make clear who owns any health website we operate, and to the extent that some content on or areas of our website are sponsored or controlled by others, we will identify those areas and provide the name of the sponsor. Examples might include an area where a partner offers products or services in a co-branded area of our website (like books on healthcare or a job search feature), or a disease-specific area that includes sponsored content from a company with products in that area. We also clearly disclose funding we might have received to support the development of content or features, even when they are under our editorial control. We will disclose any cases where we have placed health information content on our website because of sponsorship or other support from a third party.
- We may obtain revenues from third parties related to advertising and health information content sponsored by others on our website, including advertising revenues, commissions on consumer purchases, fees based on consumer use of links to other websites.
- We do not intend any links to other websites, logos, or marks of other companies, or any co-branding to constitute recommendations unless we specifically indicate that we recommend them.
- For health information content on our website, we will clearly disclose the author or source of the material and the date of the material or its last update. Where we present health information content as the result of clinical experience or scholarly research, we will clearly disclose the actual author of the health information content and others who have had a substantial role in writing, editing or otherwise preparing the material.
- We require authors who write for us to complete a conflict of interest form that requires disclosure of any financial interests and affiliations that may influence, or have the appearance of influencing, the specific content they provide. If the conflicts, in our judgment, are significant, then we require their public disclosure in connection with the content on our website. We require the same of those who serve on our various editorial boards.
Special Rules for Healthcare Professional Information
- Any single-sponsored areas on ModernMedicine.com are developed and maintained under the established rules for single-sponsored supplements outlined by the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors. You can review these rules online at the following URL: http://www.icmje.org/index.html#supplements
- We develop and display all programs for which healthcare professionals may earn continuing education credit in accordance with the guidelines of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) or other relevant accrediting bodies. These guidelines will apply to placement of commercial supporters' names, logos, information about specific brand name pharmaceutical products, date(s) material is posted, names of faculty/writers, and any relevant faculty/writer disclosure information. You can review the ACCME's rules online at the following URL: http://www.accme.org/. cme2, a medical education subsidiary of UBM Advanstar has received ACCME accreditation as a CME provider which allows ModernMedicine.com to certify CME activities which cme2 publishes on this website.
At ModernMedicine, we have always clearly separated the editorial content and process from advertising. Advertising spaces such as banners and badges are clearly marked. Likewise, any content provided by an advertising sponsor is clearly marked as such, and is physically separated from editorial content. We are also selective in the advertising we accept. Our advertising policies are as follows:
- We will clearly distinguish advertising from health information content, using identifying words, design, or placement. We will design ModernMedicine.com to avoid confusion between advertising and health information content.
- It is the responsibility of the advertiser to comply with the laws and regulations of the United States of America, the country in which the site is based. This includes pharmaceutical advertising to physicians that must be in compliance with FDA guidelines for Direct to Physician (DTP) advertising. In addition, CME programs must be labeled in accordance with the guidelines of the Accrediting Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) and any other relevant accrediting bodies. We reserve the right to review all Advertising for compliance with applicable laws and regulations and, if we become aware of any breach or potential breach of any applicable law or regulation or of these guidelines, we may remove the advertising.
- We will have sole and absolute discretion with respect to interpretation and enforcement of this policy and all other issues associated with advertising on ModernMedicine.com. We may change this policy at any time in its sole discretion by posting a revised policy to ModernMedicine.com.
- Under no circumstances will our acceptance of an advertisement be considered an endorsement of the product(s) and/or service(s) advertised or the company that manufactures, distributed, or promotes such product(s) and/or service(s).
- We reserve the right to reject, cancel, or remove at any time any advertising from ModernMedicine.com for any reason and will provide prompt notice to the advertiser upon rejection, cancellation, or removal of any advertising, together with an explanation following the rejection, cancellation, or removal. We will not accept advertising that, in our opinion, makes unsubstantiated claims of therapeutic benefit for particular products or contains false or misleading information. In addition, we will not accept advertising that, in our opinion, is not factually accurate and in good taste.
- We will not permit at any time the placement of any advertising for illegal or objectionable products. Advertising must not contain fraudulent, deceptive, or offensive material, including material that misrepresents, ridicules, or attacks an individual or group on the basis of age, color, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or handicap. Advertising must not be related to any of the following: alcohol, firearms, ammunition, fireworks, gambling, pornography, or tobacco.
- Advertisers will not influence the way any search results for specific information by keyword or topic are displayed on ModernMedicine.com. We will post all of the variables used to determine relevance ranking and the order of search results presented to ModernMedicine.com readers. We reserves the right to feature original ModernMedicine material or content within search results, and any such hierarchy of search results will be free of any influence from advertisers. However, we will target advertising or sponsored health information content to users based on information about them or their use of ModernMedicine.com, including searches they conduct. In addition, we provide a separate area on the search results page in which sponsors and advertisers may purchase space to list their content or advertising.
- No advertising shall be permitted which may injure the good name or reputation of ModernMedicine or ModernMedicine.com.
We welcome any comments, questions, or complaints you have about this editorial and advertising policy or our websites. You can contact us here.